Sunday 31 December 2017

Happy New Year!

Good morning world.

So I'm seeing a lot of posts on Instagram about a 2017 best nine. Normally, I would have participated in the photo challenge but I realised I haven't really taken many photos this year! I don't do anything to celebrate the coming of the new year but I do like to acknowledge it, and almost review the year we are leaving behind.

So I decided to do my best of 2017 in a slightly different format, and I'm blogging about them instead. Now these are going to be in no particular order but I'm going to publish a separate post for one of them. I feel that the subject deserves its own space!

Okay.

1. So I have survived 2017. I am very very proud of that. I've kept going, and I have not done so alone. I am here, and I am glad of that.

2. I've moved house! I am now renting my own little flat and I adore it. Independence feels good! And all of my nerdy stuff, and my books, are out on display. It's lovely and is very slowly coming together. It's a very peaceful and exciting journey!

3. Although it doesn't feel like it sometimes I have made an awful lot of progress this year with regards to my mental health. I've been to the doctors, sought treatment and I have processed more than I have in previous years. I am dealing with things, rather than brushing thoughts under the carpet as I would normally. I've accepted help, and that is what I'm proud of.  I've had the help of my friends, my family, and my lecturers. I could not be more grateful. I am hearing myself more, rather than silencing myself. And this feels good.

4. Then there's university. I am proud of the fact that I have worked hard through my second year of university this year. This year is my final year. I'm absolutely determined to finish with a first class degree and continue with my masters. University has been a life raft and I'm very happy with my progress academically.

5.This year I've grown very close to a wonderful group of people at university. Lauren, Abby and Richard have become incredibly dear to me this year and I've grown so much because of them. I feel settled with you guys, and comfortable. I can embrace whatever it is that I'm feeling and trust you all immensely. Being with you makes me happy. Thank you so so much for all the wonderful conversation, hugs, and pictures. Thank you for keeping me laughing and smiling, always! Here's to another excellent year together and I can't wait to graduate with you guys. I'm so proud of you all.

6. I'm aware that I haven't picked eight things yet. But there are more general items to add to the list. For example, I am bloody proud of all of the times that I have got out of bed. I am proud of the dresser I built yesterday morning. Proud of every time I have opened up this year. I am proud of the better relationships I have with my family.

New Year is a strange time of year I think. It always makes me feel a little bit lonely. I worry that being alone at new year means something. Almost as if it sets the tone for the year to come. As if it means I am truly alone. But this year is different. I spent the last hour of new year, after work, continuing to build the drawers for my dresser. I have not treated new year as though it is a big deal, and I have not made any big decisions. This feels good and peaceful.

2017 was interesting. I've gained and lost things and people. I have been happy, and sad. 2018 can only get better. I am looking forward to embracing another year, and this time I'm not going into it alone. Damn, that feels good. Here's to a new year, a new blog, and the same old me.

Well this soppy sod is out of here for the night and I need my sleep.

Good night my dears, and happy new year.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Talk About Sex...

So let's talk about sex, and this is going to sound like a rant I'm sure. But let's get something straight: Men and ...